What is a habit?
Acccording to Wikipedia,
“A habit is a routine of behavior that is repeated regularly and tends to occur unconsciously.”
Habits are therefore behavioral activities that we do over and over sometimes without even our conscious realization. For example, what is the first thing you do when you wake up in the morning? Chances are, you regularly go through a series of activities; perhaps you roll over and hit the snooze button on your alarm. And then maybe doze off a little, jerk up again, and maybe pick up your phone and check your facebook 😛
Habits can be very hard to establish and very hard to break (let me not get started on how I broke my storybook addiction!), but because of that very nature of theirs we can utilize the power of habits to change our lives for the better.
If we are able to establish some great habits in motion, we can sit back and complete our dreams and goals on autopilot. Imagine that!
It has been proven scientifically that it takes twenty-one days to establish a habit. I however like to utilize the Thirty-Day Method in establishing a habit because then I can have the extra days to really let it stick. Also, then it fits nicely in a month. You can start at the beginning and end at the end of the month.
Six Habits That Can Change Your Life
- Exercising daily. And it doesn’t even have to be at the gym! Learn a sport, go for long walks, bike regularly, take the stairs and not the elevator, learn to dance, etc. The idea is to lead a physically active life. My (not so daily these days) exercise is dancing!
- Reading daily. Just as it is important to build up your body, it is also important to nourish and build up your brain. Read on diverse topics – business, personal development, psychology, finance, etc. Learn something new everyday.
- Regularly do things that you might be afraid of. Smile at a stranger. Start a deep conversation with someone on WhatsApp. Tell the people in your life how you feel about them, even if they laugh at you for being sappy! Stay off social media for a day. Or two! For me, I tend to be such an introvert, I could stay inside reading a book all day! It can be a struggle sometimes just to GO OUT. The point is to challenge yourself.
- Cultivate a writing habit. I’ve been journaling for half of my life, and I strongly recommend it. Write everyday; it could be what you are grateful for today, the problems you are currently facing, what you did that day, etc. Journaling is a powerful tool for cultivating self-awareness and imagination. Writing things out can also be a release and help put seemingly big problems in perspective.
- Daily meditation or ‘quiet time’. Have time (it can be as short as ten minutes) where you just sit quietly and reflect on your day. Think deeply about where you are and where you are going. Pray. Just as it is important to take care of your body and mind, it is also important to take care of your soul and spirit!
- Have time for the people who matter in your life. Don’t wait till they are gone before you start appreciating them. Spend focused time with your family and friends. Engage in fun activities together. Look into their eyes and really talk to them. See them. It’s good for the soul!
So there you have them, six habits that can truly change your life if you commit to them. If you commit to working on at least one habit per month for a full year, just think of how transformed and fulfilling life can turn out to be! Your time would be spent working on goals and activities that truly mattered to you.
With the Thirty-Day Method, you can install habits and auto-pilot your way to accomplishments important to you. Happy installing!